Monday, May 5, 2014

Paths of the UY

               

My name is Jenny Talen. I came to the University YMCA (UY) as an AmeriCorps VISTA through the College Health Corps in June 2012. I am now serving my second term at the UY (which is coming to a close in June) and the experience has been life-changing. The community that is the UY is truly remarkable—people with passion, people with drive and people with the desire to create social change in every aspect of life.

My role these past two years has been to help support, build capacity and sustainability for two after school mentoring initiatives; Y Mentors Literacy Matters and Y Healthy Kids Matter. Together, these two programs serve close to 100 college students who serve over 120 youth in the Twin Cities. At each after-school site, college student mentors invest in young people, building meaningful and positive relationships. As these relationships solidify, Y Mentors engage with their mentees to build a positive view of the young person’s personal future and instill assets in each individual’s life. As an outsider looking in, it has been inspiring watching these programs and college students transform the lives of young people.

In addition to making an impact on youth in the community, the UY makes an incredible impact on University of Minnesota students as well. College students can become part of a safe and welcoming environment dedicated to building cause-driven leaders and creating a community of intercultural competence and acceptance. It has been an absolute joy watching the college students I work with grow as leaders and as individuals. I have made relationships with so many of these students and I am humbled by their strength, resiliency and ability to create social change.

I don’t know where my journey will lead me after my time at the UY concludes, but I look forward to continuing those relationships I’ve fostered and translating the skills I’ve gained at the UY to wherever my path leads me.

Jenny Talen
Americorps VISTA




No comments:

Post a Comment